CTR Assistance - What It Does: Kazakhstan
CTR assistance has helped Kazakhstan become a non- nuclear-weapons state and encouraged demilitarization by agreeing to assist with dismantlement of over 100 SS-18 operational and test silos, and associated missile bases and infrastructures; and by helping to improve control and accounting for fissile materials. Over $100 million has been committed to Kazakhstan.
In Kazakhstan, CTR:
- Provides enhancements for control and accounting of fissile material;
- Provided emergency response equipment;
- Provides SS-18 silo elimination assistance;
- Facilitated Project Sapphire, which removed 600 kgs of HEU and shipped it to the U.S.;
- Provided a communications link to meet START and INF communication requirements; and
- Provides support for conversion of weapons of mass destruction industry to civilian production.