DFOIPO website banner

FOIA Appeals and Complaints

If you have made a request, but you disagree with the DoD's determination, you have a right to appeal. However, there are other ways to resolve any concerns you have:

As a first step you can contact the Requester Service Center from which you received the response. You can find their contact information by visiting their individual websites. which can be found at: Military Services, Department of Defense Agencies, and Combatant Commands

If your issue is still not resolved, contact your FOIA Liaison. Here is the list of the list of FOIA Public Liaisons PDF | 52 KB

If you are still not satisfied, you can contact the Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) to get help in resolving any dispute with the department.

Finally if none of these methods of dispute resolution are satisfactory, you can submit an appeal to the appellate authority, whose name and address are stated in the final letter from DoD.

You will need Adobe Acrobat®Reader™ to view PDF files located on this site. If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat® Reader™,you can download it here for free.

This page was last modified on: