Office of the Secretary of Defense and Joint Staff
Freedom of Information Act Requester Service Center
This Requester Service Center (RSC) processes Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for records related to the Office of the Secretary of Defense and Joint Staff (OSD/JS), which now includes the U.S. Joint Forces Command (JFCOM), and specific OSD components.* This RSC does not process FOIA requests for the entire Department of Defense (DoD). Please direct requests related to the Military Services, Combatant Commands, or other Defense Agencies, to the appropriate organization/component that maintains the record(s) of interest. Please contact Senior FOIA Advisor Aaron Graves at (866) 574-4970 if you have a question regarding which organization/component maintains the record(s) you are seeking.
Before submitting a FOIA request, please check to see if the information you seek is not already in our OSD/JS FOIA Library or other DoD web sites.
The OSD/JS FOIA Reading Room contains seven categories of records:
- OSD/JS FOIA Library maintains documents previously released through the FOIA
- Special Collections Library maintains documents released outside of the FOIA process
- Proactive Disclosures
maintains records that were released by an OSD component in advance of any
- Final Opinions made in the adjudication of administrative cases
- Policy Statements
- Administrative staff manuals
- Records released under the FOIA process which are likely to become the subject of future requests, such as current "hot items" or of wide-spread interest
Recently Posted Documents are those newly released under the FOIA. Frequently Requested Documents are those most often requested under the FOIA. These sites are updated on a regular basis.
To submit a FOIA request for records related to the OSD/JS, please select from:
* This RSC processes FOIA requests for: Criminal Investigation Task Force; Defense Acquisition University; Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency; Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute; Defense Legal Services Agency; Defense Microelectronics Activity; Defense Media Activity; Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Persons Office; Defense Security Cooperation Agency; Defense Technology Security Administration; Defense Travel Management Office; DoD Human Resources Activity; DoD Test Resources Management Center; Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization; Missile Defense Agency; National Defense University; Office of Economic Adjustment; Pentagon Force Protection Agency; Washington Headquarters Services; and the White House Military Office.
Portable Document Format (PDF) files may be viewed with a free copy of Adobe Acrobat® Reader™.